9/19/17

Last week I started on the introductory of Merica Notes. It was simple, but now I'm actually going to get the meat of the blog; that is music and artists from genres all across the board. This week will be an artist whom I grew up on and have been listening to since before elementary school.

  My dad was the one that introduced me to classic rock, and when he introduced me to The Rolling Stones when I was about four years old- I knew immediately that the Stones were going to be a band I'd come to love. One such song, Jumping' Jack Flash, released on the album single of the same name in 1968 became my first favorite, never mind the fact that the album came out a good 31 years before I was ever born. I was actually in preschool at the time, and we were doing a project on what our favorite songs were. The thing is, I went to a private school at the time and so every other kid's favorite songs were "Jesus Loves Me" and "Go Tell It 'Round The Mountain", while mine was "Jumping Jack Flash."

  Moving away from that one single song that encompassed my early childhood, my love for the Rolling Stones only grew around 2007 when I got my first MP3 player. My mother had downloaded a little over 100 songs that she used to play over CDs to me as an infant. By 7 years old, I was listening to music that was four or five times my age. I had everything on there everything from The Dave Matthews Band, to The Grateful Dead, Stone Temple Pilots, Macy Gray, Soundgarden, and of course The Rolling Stones. My mother loved Dave Matthews, but my dad would always take me to school in his truck while we listened to songs like "Sympathy For The Devil", "Paint It Black", and "Mothers Little Helper". I knew just about every word to every song on the "Through The Past, Darkly" album at one point or another. But, what really strikes me about the Stones is that since 1962, they're still relevant and still playing as a band. Although Keith Richards and Mick Jagger may be the only members of the Rolling Stones still alive, it's always good to see that they have two if not three entire generations of music lovers listening to their hits.

  The Rolling Stones are one of those bands who are the rare exception when it comes to aging music. Seldom have they changed their style since the 1960s and 70s, and yet still they draw in more millennial fans every year. Mick Jagger may look unrecognizable today than he did in 1971, but his music surely hasn't. Every Stones album seems to remind me of the hardships of the 60s and 70s. The civil right movement. Watergate. Vietnam. As troubling times as those were, the Stones seem to provoke both the "beautiful pain" of the times and the nostalgia of that era in which rock music reached its epitome of greatness. 55 years and The Rolling Stones are still on top of their game. Here's to hoping the next 55 is just as great!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2/14/18 Whiteboy

9/25/17

2/12/18 Team USA's Playlist