10/10/17 Rising Artists

I wanted to take a break this week from artists we all grew up on and know by name, and instead, focus more on artists whom I've come to appreciate recently. Most of which names, I'm sure many have never hear of. But their music is arguably some of the best contemporary I've head. (Meaning that you won't find any Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran here.) These are artists we can all appreciate, and frankly, I think they deserve some recognition in the music industry for once and maybe let some of the more bigwig names in music take a back seat.

It's not hipster music if its actually good.


First off, this artist I've met personally and I know he has a lot of potential. Niic (pronounced as nice) is a pop/rock artist based out of Pennsylvania. I've been a fan of his music a little over a year now, and I believe that he's definitely gotten better, along with more popularity he's played at venues all across the US. (I've been trying to get him to do a USO tour recently, though it will most likely have to wait until he has enough funding to perform overseas.) He's a big supporter of the troops and as well the local community in Philly. In my opinion, some of his best songs have come from his 2014 album "Unleashed" and the previous album "Instinct".  Somehow, I still remember the first time I heard Niic. Back in May of 2016 I think it was. I was waiting for the bus to pick me up after school, and I'd been listening to a podcast in which the host had played a song by Niic. The track was called "Its How We Do" and was one of his best recording from Instinct. It was kind of a happy song, like one you'd listen to on a drive to the beach. Later on, I kept listening to Niic more on Spotify and iTunes, as the podcast I listened on was old and hadn't seen a new episode since 2015. Irregardless, I still herald Niic as an artist who has so much future potential if only he could get his music out to a broader audience. People would love to hear the green dog of Philadelphia sing, and hopefully, by your support Niic can achieve that. You can find him on Spotify, iTunes, YouTube, or Twitter.


Second on this list is yet another Pennsylvania native. But this one however, is much different. Avery is an 11 year old kid who just so happens to be a drumming prodigy. According to his website, averydrummer.com, Avery began playing music at the age of two years old. From there, when he was just 3, he learned to play Mississippi Queen on his tiny drum set. Years went on and Avery only got better, touring with country icon Brad Paisley, and with rock legends like KISS. Some of his songs you might have heard on Youtube. His covers of Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" and several drum medley's from Rush, have earned tens of millions of views. (I kid you not, this boy actually plays like Neil Peart; who if you didn't know is one the most talented and skilled drummers in all of rock.) The fact that this 11 year old kid has way more talent than any of the artists you hear on pop radio today gives he hope for the future of mankind that maybe there will be good music in the future.


Alongside artists like Niic and Avery, there are groups such as C2C, whom I have been recently listening to over the past year or so. C2C is an EDM group from France whose songs like their remix of "Superstition", and original tracks such as "Le Banquet" and "Happy" have garnered them enough fame to have one of their songs "Happy", played in a 2017 Honda commercial. However, C2C has unfortunately not had so much exposure in the US as to be played on any radio stations. (At least, none of which I've heard so far.) Yet, C2C deserves to relish in some attention; as their songs are great to listen to on almost any occasion. One such track, "Le Banquet", takes audio clips from a speech by what I believe is Robert F. Kennedy, remasters portions of RFK's speech and turns it into a sort of motivational line, of which "Le Banquet" is filled with by the way. I paraphrase when I say this but the line goes "Some men see things the way they are and ask why...I see things the way they are and ask why not."


Finally, I leave this post at another one of my favorite EDM artists; Wolfgun. I've been listening to Wolfgun since 2015, around which time I started getting into the EDM genre because I was sick of listening to pop on the radio. So far, my favorite album of his has to be "Road To Jupiter", a very space-age album which was coincidentally the first Wolfgun album I heard. Wolfgun works as a solo artist generally, sometimes working with other artists such as Archetype. Although his albums lately have been mainly singles, or remastered editions of previous albums- he is still a terrific artist in the sense that even I listen to him. Typically, I hate just about any and every song in dubstep and EDM. Wolfgun however, is the exception to this. His works are truly an amazing balance of instrumental harmony and gentle vocals, and never have I heard a track by him that sounds like the usual screeching and piercing screams of the waste of oxygen that is dubstep. Undoubtedly, Wolfgun is an artist whom we can all take a liking to.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2/14/18 Whiteboy

9/25/17

2/12/18 Team USA's Playlist